We have all been standing in our new homes surrounded by moving boxes and wondering where to begin? The most important question will be how organized were you in packing your belongings? The truth is, the more organized you are with your packing, will determine how successful your unpacking will go.
Following these simple but thorough tips will help:
- Use the right size boxes – Put heavy items like books in small boxes; light items such as linens and pillows in bigger boxes. Large boxes which are over packed with heavy items pose the risk of breaking and make the job harder for your professional movers if boxes are too heavy.
- Pack contents of boxes correctly – Make sure to place the heavier items in the bottom of the box and the lighter items on the top so the weight is evenly distributed. Try not to leave empty space in boxes and fill the gaps with towels or packing paper so items won’t slide around and movers won’t lift unbalanced boxes.
- Avoid mixing items from different rooms – When packing your boxes do not mix up the items from different rooms, keeping all the items in one box for one room only. This will make your packing quicker and unpacking much easier.
- Label each box with the room and description of contents – Keep an inventory list of your boxes so you know how many you have. Numbering each box and tagging it is an excellent way of keeping track of what items are packed and not packed up yet. Tag each box with a colored sticker with the name of the room it belongs in, for example: Green -Family Room, Blue-Kitchen, Orange-Peter’s room etc. Your mover can provide the colored room stickers for you. Tape up all boxes at seams with heavy packing tape.
- Loading the truck – The moving crew will work from your inventory list and will coordinate with the customer on loading the truck and which boxes come off the truck first, can be loaded last. The professional movers will load the truck with heavy items on the bottom and all fragile items on the top for safety and protection.
Remember, any large and fragile items such as mirrors or expensive art should have special crating provided by your mover. All these steps will make your packing and unpacking smooth and successful in your new home. For more information on our services please visit our website: http://bbdmoving.com/