We have all had the experience of standing in our new homes surrounded by moving boxes, and having no idea where to begin. The most important indication of how smooth unpacking goes will be how organized you were when you packed your belongings.
FOLLOW THESE SIMPLE BUT THOROUGH TIPS:
- Use the right size boxes – Put heavy items like books in small boxes and light items such as linens and pillows in bigger boxes. Large boxes which are over packed with heavy items pose the risk of breaking and make the job harder for your professional movers.
- Pack contents of boxes correctly– Make sure to place the heavier items in the bottom of the box and the lighter items on the top so the weight of each box is evenly distributed. Try not to leave empty space in boxes. You can fill the gaps with towels or packing paper so items won’t slide around, making the boxes unbalanced and dangerous.
- Avoid mixing items from different rooms – When packing your boxes, try not to mix items from different rooms, keeping all the items in one box for one room only. This will not only make your packing quicker, but it will also make unpacking much easier.
- Label each box with the room and description of contents– Keep an inventory list of your boxes so you know how many you have. Numbering each box and tagging it is an excellent way of keeping track of what items are packed and not packed up yet. Tag each box with a colored sticker with the name of the room it belongs in, for example: Green – Family Room, Blue – Kitchen, Orange – Peter’s room, etc. Your mover can provide the colored room stickers for you. Tape up all boxes at the seams with heavy packing tape.
- Loading the truck– The moving crew will work from your inventory list and will coordinate with you on loading the truck to be sure that boxes which need to come off the truck first get loaded last. The professional movers will also load the truck with heavy items on the bottom and all fragile items on the top for safety and protection.
Remember, any large and fragile items such as mirrors or expensive art should have special crating provided by your mover. All of these steps will help make your packing and unpacking experience as smooth and successful as possible.