Planning a move to a different city, or perhaps abroad? We all know that just moving from one residence to another requires a great deal of planning and organizing. But moving to another city can be twice as challenging. Many factors need to be taken into consideration.
HERE IS A CHECKLIST OF THINGS YOU’LL NEED TO CONSIDER AND PLAN FOR:
- How you will move your vehicles from one residence to another
- How you will move your pets to your new home safely
- Perishable items
- Irreplaceable items such as jewelry, personal files and documents, checkbooks and financial statements, stocks and bonds, etc.
- Personal items such as photos, car keys, house keys, address books, etc.
- Computers – both hardware and software
- Medicines, cosmetics, grooming items – anything you need or use on a daily basis
- Clothing and shoes
- Furniture and large household items
There are two main categories into which you can sort your things when preparing for a move: things you’ll move yourself, and things you’ll have professional movers take care of for you. It’s always a good idea to move any personal items you may need throughout your move yourself, such as some clothing, medicines, jewelry, and any other smaller personal items, so that you have immediate access to them at all times. You’ll have to decide whether you’d rather have the movers take care of your computer equipment and any other technical gadgets, or if you want to move those pieces yourself.
Larger, non-personal items such as furniture, rugs, appliances, lawn mowers, tools, yard equipment, boxes, and any bigger household items are usually best left to your professional mover, who has more experience safely moving these larger items to your new residence.
Moving and relocating is challenging enough without having the added stress of sorting and packing your own items. Your professional moving company can also take care of the packing for you, at an additional cost. You can have peace of mind knowing that your cherished belongings are being moved safely and securely to your new home.